The weather’s getting warmer, the kids are out of school and the farmer’s markets are open — summer is here!
Now that the kids have been on break for a few weeks, the initial excitement of summer has worn off and we are all looking for some fun things to do.
The goal parents: to fight off the dreaded “I’m bored” comment and keep them away from the screen long enough to make a few memories.
And boy do we have a list for you — the Ultimate Kansas City Bucket List for summer fun!
There are some awesome new places to visit this year along with many of our favorite KC events and activities. It’s a great time to explore the city, check out a new attraction and enjoy some time together!
101 Things to Do in Kansas City this Summer
There’s always so much going on and Kansas City is such a big place so we’ve looked for activities and ideas from all around the metro.
Honestly, we probably have more than 200 ideas & activities on the list and we’ll keep adding more throughout the summer! If there’s something amazing that we didn’t include, be sure to list it in the comments so we can share it with everyone!
Photo Credit: John Lamberton
All New & Amazing in Kansas City this Summer
- Weave your way through the new Glass labyrinth at the Nelson-Atkins outdoor Sculpture Park!
- Slide down the biggest water slide in the world at Schlitterbaun — leave me a note if you do this because I am too much of a chicken to do it myself 😉
- Enjoy Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones & the Legends of Chima weekend at LEGOLAND
- Explore the hands-on science room and Water H2O=Live exhibit at the Museum at Prairiefire
- Take an old-time photo at the new Photography shop at Deanna Rose Farmstead (they have a great one that looks like you’ve been caught in a tornado!)
- Explore the new kids exhibit, Super Kids Save the World, at Crown Center
- Tour the new blacksmith shop and barber shop at Deanna Rose Farmstead
- Play the outdoor xylphone, explore the outdoor classroom and hike the trails at Burr Oak Woods Nature Center
- Attend one of the 100+ Outdoor Music Concerts around town! Seriously, there’s so many performances we had to give music it’s own page!
- Tour Sculpture Park at the Nelson-Atkins Museum
- Pick your own fruit! A great way to connect kids to where their food comes from — try these locations & be sure to call ahead or check the website as the weather plays a huge part in the availability of the crop:
- See a movie under the stars — more than 40 great outdoor movies are showing this summer around the city
- Head out to Powell Observatory and see the stars!
- Get a birds’ eye view of things from the Skyride at the Kansas City Zoo
- Explore a new playgound — take along our Playground Scavenger Hunt for fun
- Step back in time and enjoy a Family Fun Night at Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm
- See Fireworks!! (let the kids wear their pj’s and bring a fun snack)
- Go geocaching with the kids — there are 100s of secret caches hidden all around the city!
- Take the kids to a drive-in movie (another great pj activity 😉
- Visit with the tigers, wolves and other large cats at Cedar Cove Sanctuary in Louisburg
- Feed the bison and elk at the Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure in Blue Springs
- Enjoy a play — you can see outdoor theater shows at Shawnee Mission park, the Shakespeare Festival (great for teens)
- Stop and smell the roses at Loose Park – a great place to spend the morning with lots of trails and playground areas
- Have fun at one of the Splash/spray parks in the area:
Loose Park Sprayground – this one’s really cool
Kansas City Spray Parks — a dozen more around the city!
Play area at Burr Oak Woods Nature Center
Cool Indoor Fun on Hot Days
- Play, act & work at the great mini-town of Kidscape in the Johnson County Museum
- Explore the hands-on exhibits at the Pony Express Museum
- Visit a Mummy & complete one of the Kids Guides to the Galleries fun books at the Nelson-Atkins Museum
- Attend a Pop-n-play, art class or kids concert at the Johnson County Museum
- Learn how a President grew up and check out the special Spy Exhibit at the Harry Truman Museum & Library
- See Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Coterie
- Enjoy storytime at your local library — this can be a weekly thing!
- Our local Nature Centers have AWESOME programming going on all summer with storytimes, meet the animal programs and skill sessions:
Ernie Miller Nature Center – Olathe
Lakeside Nature Center – Kansas City
Schlagle Library & Nature Center – Kansas City, KS
Remington Nature Center – St. Joe
Burr Oak Woods Nature Center – Blue Springs
- Enjoy a Family Scavenger Hunts or toddler days at the Kemper Museum
- Hold a starfish or sea urchin and watch the sharks at SEA LIFE Aquarium
- Catch a movie — there are TONS of great family movies (free or for a few bucks) at cinemas around Kansas City
- Take the kids to a workshops or clinic – they can build, craft, code and learn some skills at these Free & Low-cost Workshops that are held at Bass Pro, Michael’s, Lowe’s, Home Depot, American Girl, Apple and Microsoft stores
- Explore a One-Room Schoolhouse
A Few Family Favorites
- Create art at Kaleidoscope
- Waddle with the penguins at the Kansas City Zoo
- Enter one of the many summer reading programs at local bookstores and libraries to win books, gift cards & more!
- Hang out at the pool
- Bottle-feed the goats at Deanna Rose & stop by Ben’s Bank for a passport
- Get your Passport to Adventure and explore the 22 locations around the metro
June 22nd: Future Stages Festival at the Kauffman Center, free event 12 pm – 5 pm
Jun 28th & 29th: Maker Faire at Union Station
July 10th: Picnic in the Park at the Nelson-Atkins Museum with puppets, ice cream & fun art activities! 5 pm – 8 pm
July 12th: Tractor Daze & Touch-a-Truck at the National Agricultural Museum
Enjoy Your Summer!!