Connect with us on Facebook for more fun ideas!!
My kids just LOVE countdown calendars! "How many more days until..." -- it's always so much easier to wait if you have something fun to do :-)
So, a few years ago, we created a countdown calendar for Halloween.
The calendar was created from small canvas bags that we purchased at our local crafts store. They were 6/$1, so it wasn't that expensive.
We decorated each bag using foam stickers, scrapbook stickers, pre-painted wood signs or with hand-drawn pictures.
Each bag includes a number for every day in October. Be sure to label each bag with a number for the day of the month (from 1 thru 31) -- this was a HUGE timesaver as I could easily fill all the bags on the weekend and just grab the one I needed each day.
If you begin in September, you can make one or two bags each day and be ready for October 1st!
Here's a few sample bags to give you some ideas:
Hand-drawn ghost with glitter-sticker face --
drawing a jack-o-lantern is great too!
Glue on pre-painted wood decorations.
Fun glitter foam stickers that kids love to use!
How to Use the Calendar:
1. You can leave individual bags at the breakfast table each morning OR
2. String them all on a piece of ribbon and hang them on your mantle, doorway or staircase.
What Do We Put in Each Bag?
Fun activities we can do as a family!! We love fall so this ends up being easy. I've also been known to sneek in a few pieces of candy corn :-)
Here are some ideas we include on slips of paper in each bag:
- Visit a pumpkin patch to choose your pumpkins
- Decorate the house for fall
- 'Ghost' a friend in the neighborhood
- Make a fun halloween-themed dinner
- Read a Halloween book together (I usually fill 5 or 6 bags with different book titles). Here are a few of our favorites along with affiliate links so you can check out the details on each book:
More Ideas for Halloween Activities:
- Make a new fall recipe together
- Enjoy some outdoor fun with leaf activities
- Head to the store to buy candy for trick-or-treaters
- Carve our jack-o-lanterns - here's 100+ great pumpkin stencils
- 'Spookify' the front door for trick-or-treaters
- Family movie night -- try one of these:
If you're looking for more inspiration, visit our 'Halloween' board on Pinterest for some creative ideas!
It's a great fall craft for the kids, and a fun way to wait out the days until one of their favorite holidays!!
If this is your first visit to Edventures With Kids --
Welcome & thanks for stopping by!
Also Shared At:
Some of the links included in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase any of the products, I want to thank you as I will receive a small commission and very much appreciate your patronage.