DIY Halloween Countdown Calendar
Connect with us on Facebook for more fun ideas!!
My kids just LOVE countdown calendars!
"How many more days until..." -- it's always so much easier to wait if you have something fun to do :-)
So, a few years ago, we created a countdown calendar for Halloween. And it's been such a great addition to our yearly traditions!
Well, fall gets a little busy and the kids just love to do fallish and Halloween themed activities. So this has been the perfect way to "get all my ducks in a row" so to say (or should I say 'pumpkins in a row').
Here's the details on how we created the countdown along with some of our activities and affiliate links for items you can use to make one of your own this year!
Halloween Countdown Calendar
The calendar was created from small canvas bags that we purchased at our local crafts store. They were 6/$1, so it wasn't that expensive.
We decorated each bag using Halloween Foam Craft Stickers, scrapbook stickers, pre-painted wood signs or with hand-drawn pictures.
Each bag includes a number for every day in October.
Be sure to label each bag with a numberfor the day of the month (from 1 thru 31) -- this was a HUGE timesaver as I could easily fill all the bags on the weekend and just grab the one I needed each day.
If you begin in September, you can make one or two bags each day and be ready for October 1st!
Here's a few sample bags to give you some ideas:
Hand-drawn ghost with glitter-sticker face -- drawing a jack-o-lantern is great too!
Glue on pre-painted wood decorations.
Fun glitter foam stickers that kids love to use these!
See, super simple designs and decoration ideas so the kids can help to create the bags. You could also use fabric paints or washi tape to decorate or label the bags too.
How to Use the Calendar:
1. You can leave individual bags at the breakfast table each morning OR
2. String them all on a piece of ribbon and hang them on your mantle, doorway or staircase.
What Do We Put in Each Bag?
Fun activities we can do as a family!!
We love fall so this ends up being easy. I've also been known to sneek in a few pieces of candy corn :-)
Here are some ideas we include on slips of paper in each bag:
- Visit a pumpkin patch to choose your pumpkins
- Decorate the house for fall
- 'Ghost' a friend in the neighborhood
- Make a fun halloween-themed dinner
- Read a Halloween book together (I usually fill 5 or 6 bags with different book titles). Here are a few of our favorites along with affiliate links so you can check out the details on each book:
More Ideas for Halloween Activities:
- Make a new fall recipe together
- Enjoy some outdoor fun with leaf activities
- Head to the store to buy candy for trick-or-treaters
- Carve our jack-o-lanterns - here's 100+ great pumpkin stencils
- 'Spookify' the front door for trick-or-treaters
- Family movie night -- try one of these:
If you're looking for more inspiration, visit our 'Halloween' board on Pinterest for some creative ideas!
It's a great fall craft for the kids, and a fun way to wait out the days until one of their favorite holidays!!
If this is your first visit to Edventures With Kids --
Welcome & thanks for stopping by!
You might also like:
Some of the links included in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase any of the products, I want to thank you as I will receive a small commission and very much appreciate your patronage.