Grab this free printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt game - perfect for kids, tweens, teens & adults to scout out some of your favorite Halloween sights this month!
There's nothing like a Fun Fall Scavenger Hunt to inspire some time outdoors in the crisp, cool weather!
This hunt can be used as an after school activity, weekend family fun, a party game at school (so many teachers decorate their classrooms), and with birthday parties, youth groups or scout events too!
Halloween Scavenger Hunt with FREE printable
We've been enjoying some evening walks and the Halloween decorations in our neighborhood this week, so I thought I would create a scavenger hunt that will encourage your kids to get outside and find out what their neighbors are using to decorate :) If you have young kids, they will also enjoy our Halloween Scavenger Hunt with picture clues instead of words!
I love scavenger hunts like these as they are so versatile -- here are a few ways to use them:
- encourage your kids, tweens & teens to get outside & get some exercise as they hunt around your neighborhood (perfect for after school activity!)
- enjoy evening walks together while you scout out decorations as a family,
- use them as a fun activity at a Halloween party, with scout troops or youth groups,
- it's a great idea for teenagers who are looking for something to do on weekend evenings,
- and scavenger hunts can also be used as an observation & reading activity with kids in school -- can they find the decor around the classroom or school building?!
There are a few items you'll need before you go out hunting -- here's what we like to have with us along with affiliate links so you can easily learn more about each item:
- FREE printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt (you can grab your FREE copy below)
- a 9 x 12 Clipboard to hold the paper - those Fall days can be breezy
- spooky Pencils ;) -- always more fun than a 'boring yellow one'
- a flashlight -- or better yet, Glowstick Bracelets since you're likely to be hunting when it's dark!
- And if you're doing the hunt in the neighborhood, be sure to dress appropriately for the weather ;)
Halloween Scavenger Hunt List
For a regular scavenger hunt, print off the list below and head out with your kids one evening to see how many items you can find - there are both fun and spooky items on the list.
What should you look for on your scavenger hunt?
- Pumpkins on a porch
- A black cat (bonus for spotting a real one vs a decoration!)
- Jack o'lanterns
- A large spider (I hope for your sake this is a pretend one!)
- A skeleton
- A decorated door
- Blow-up Halloween display
- Witch flying on a broom
- Orange lights
- A mummy (one of the more difficult ones on the list!)
- Ghosts in a tree
- A Spooky house (either decorated or just one you think is spooky ;)
- A witch's hat
- Glow in the dark decorations
- A Halloween flag or banner
- A spider web
Plus, we've also included a chart at the bottom of the Halloween scavenger hunt (which turns it into a fun game!) if you'd like a little friendly competition ;-)
See who's brave enough and can earn the most "bones" when you play!
Mark down each time you find an item and at the end of the hunt, you can find out what 'expert level' you attained.
Halloween Photo Scavenger Hunt too!
If you'd like, you can even turn this into a Halloween photo scavenger hunt!
This is a super idea if you're doing the hunt at a party or with a group of kids (tweens and teens especially LOVE photo hunts like this)!
- Just bring along your phones and have individuals or teams snap a picture of each Halloween decor item.
- Set a time limit for the hunt - say, 30 minutes.
- Then all meet back at a common place to show & compare photos!
You can award points for the most items found, the most creative photos and bonus points if ALL team members also appear in the pic with the item from the list!
And when you finish your hunt, enjoy some warm apple cider together and a fun seasonal story -- see our 14 Cozy Books that Celebrate Fall for some ideas!
More FREE printable Scavenger Hunts:
Fall Scavenger Hunt (with free printable)
More Halloween Activities: