Print this free Thanksgiving Photo Scavenger Hunt and get the whole family involved in showing why they are thankful this year!
Thankfulness is a hard concept for kids to grasp -- even older kids!
We all have so much in our life that we tend to take for granted -- health, a warm house, a hug from our kids -- so I wanted something that we could do this Thanksgiving that highlights why we should be grateful.
And I knew it needed to involve photos because when you think about it, every time you snap a picture, you're actually capturing a memory of something you appreciate, something you are thankful for in your life.
Thanksgiving Photo Scavenger Hunt
If you look on my phone, you'll see two types of photos:
1. Pictures of things that I am so grateful to have in my life -- my kids, vacation experiences, amazing food, etc.
2. Pictures my kids make me take (you know "Mom, take a picture of me ...." -- BUT surprisingly I'm also very thankful for these nutty, crazy shots because they make me smile & laugh so much!
So this year, instead of talking about the weather or politics or some other hum-drum topic, print off this fun photo challenge for the family & friends you'll have to dinner.
It's a Thank'phone'ness Scavenger Hunt and it's SUCH a fun thing to do together!
Here are the details on how to play the game:
- Print the challenge for each person playing the game. We printed ours on cardstock so it would be sturdy.
- Choose a reader -- this person will read each of the items aloud to everyone at the table.
- Each person should have a smartphone with them -- they are going to be looking for photos on their camera roll, Instagram account, etc. If you have younger kids who don't have their own phone, pair them with a parent or grandparent who could use a little help finding photos ;)
- The reader will read aloud one of the items and each player gets 2 minutes to find a photo on their phone that represents that phrase.
- NO TAKING NEW PICTURES! This is a big rule -- you have to watch those teenagers and tricky Grandpa's who are going to try to be sneaky ;)
- After 2 minutes, every player gets to share why they chose that photo.
- Be sure to check the box if you found a photo on your phone -- the relative with the most checkmarks (or the best story) gets an extra piece of pie ;)
Easy, peasy -- and such a fun way to learn more about one another.
Not to mention, how many of these darn photos do we ever really take off our phone, right?!
My oldest is away at college so it's always great to see what's on his phone since we only see him a few times throughout the year -- new friends, campus activities, those crazy things you may not want to show your grandparents (ha!)
And tweens and teens will actually want to play since they can use their phones :)
Plus, I promise there will be some AWESOME family discussions taking place -- stories about vacation photos that come up or fond memories of those who couldn't be around the table with you this year.
And the best are the photos that remind you of traditions or past family moments that you haven't shared with your kids yet -- our kids LOVE to hear old family stories like those.
It's also a great activity to do with youth groups, scout troops and even at Christmastime!
So grab the free printable Thankgiving Photo Scavenger Hunt (along with your favorite piece of pie) and spend some time enjoying the company of friends & family this year!
More Fun & Games for the Holidays
Holiday Charades w/free printable