Use this free printable set of Advent Calendar ideas & activities to inspire time together for a Christmas Countdown with your kids!
One of my favorite memories from childhood is our Advent Calendar.
It was a Christmas tradition -- a simple felt calendar with 24 small red pockets and some jingle bells on the top.
Each day, my brother, sister or myself placed a candy cane in one of the pockets -- boy, did we fight over that honor :)
Good thing that 24 is easily divided by 3 so my Mom could quickly swoop in on any disagreement (along with a fast reminder that "Santa's watching").
And now we have a similar calendar in our house -- 24 small pockets with a stocking of candy canes hanging nearby (and even a few arguments about whose turn it is will still occur :)
In addition to the candy canes, we also like to include a special slip of paper listing a fun family activity for each day.
Some of the activities are pre-planned such as getting the tree or attending a holiday show.
Others are surprise activities for our kids.
Each year, our activities change and we have amassed quite a list of festive holiday ideas so I thought I would share them with you.
All of our Advent activities are family-focused because life goes by too quickly and the holidays are already so hectic -- these tiny slips are a wonderful way to make sure we connect a little each day.
And to make things super easy (because like I said, the holidays are busy enough) we have 2 options for you!
- I'm including free printable slips for 50 of the BEST Advent activities -- you can get yours below!
- Or choose from 140+ Advent Activities & printables, all your favorite holiday movies, traditions, books & activities!
Advent Calendar Ideas
If you don't have an Advent Calendar, here are a few that we really like!
Each of these countdown calendars has small pockets that can hold activity slips (go to our full list of Advent Activity Ideas page to find more!).
Advent calendars double as a wonderful holiday decoration and will be one of the first things your kids will want to pull out each year. We're including affiliate links so you can learn more about the items on our list!
Reindeer Advent Calendar (love this vintage look!)
Or browse this huge assortment of Advent Calendars to find one that fits your family!!
It's great to have a large list for a Christmas countdown that you can pick and choose from every year -- it always helps to have a few back-up activities in case the weather or our schedules don't cooperate with one of our original items.
We're including special links to help you with planning some activities, free printable slips for your countdown and affiliate links for items we've used during our holidays.
You can get a full printable list of ALL the ideas + Holiday planning page and Christmas activities in the Advent Pack too!
Christmas Outings for Families
- Attend a holiday-themed story time at the library or bookstore
- Visit Santa
- Go cut/choose a Christmas Tree
- Attend a Tuba Christmas concert (held all across the US)
- Attend a special Advent church service or event
- Go pick out a special ornament for the tree
- Visit a historic site to explore Christmas Past
- Take a sleigh ride
- Attend your city's tree lighting
- Go out for cocoa together (with marshmallows on top!)
- Get into your pj’s & drive around to see the light displays
- See a local Christmas show or play
Advent Countdown at Home
- Play a game of Holiday Chardes with this free printable!
- Help with the holiday cards (put on stamps, draw pictures, sign your name)
- Pair a book with each of your holiday traditions (try these 30 Christmas books for inspiration)
- Visit Santa's reindeer online
Christmas-opoly for Monopoly fans
and this *NEW* one this year -- Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer Operation (put the Bumble together ;)
- Write a letter to Santa with these free printable Santa Letter pages!
- Sing Christmas carols & have the kids play along with some fun instruments
- Explore a little science with this free printable Holiday Experiment!
- Decorate your room for Christmas
- Read a new book for the holidays
- Look through old photos & family movies (& share memories of holidays past!)
- Learn about Christmas around the world with this free printable Christmas Geography activity!
- Put up the Nativity together
- Host a Gingerbread Hunt with these free printables!
- Have story time under the tree with the lights on tonight
- Help decorate the front porch or put up the lights
- Trim the Tree
- Do a puzzle together (a holiday puzzle is a bonus!)
- Or try a few of these 25 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Holidays
- Visit one of these 14 Festive Christmas websites for kids
- Get more ideas for your family at 100+ Ideas & Activities for your Christmas Countdown
Nature Activities for Your Advent Calendar
- Try a few of these nature-themed play ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon ice skating
- Go sledding together
- Take a winter walk and scout out the animals
- Make a bird feeder for our feathered friends
Advent Acts of Kindness & Giving
- Deliver cookies to someone special or a community helper
- Donate food items to your local pantry
- Collect old towels & blankets to bring to the animal shelter
- Do some Random Acts of Kindness
- Choose outgrown toys and donate to a local charity
- Donate winter coats, hats or mittens to a shelter
- Sign up to ring bells for the Salvation Army as a family
- Adopt an angel from the Angel Tree
- Sing carols at a local nursing home
Looking for more ideas? Browse the FREE printable list of 30 Service Ideas & Gracious Giving tracking sheet to bring the spirit of the holidays to others this year!
Family-friendly Christmas Movies for Advent
Our entire movie list can be found in the Advent Activity printable pack which will make planning your Christmas countdown SO easy!
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas(one of our family's favorites!)
And if you like classic vintage Christmas movies, try these:
Christmas Activities in the Kitchen
- Light an advent candle before dinner each night
- Bake cookies together
- Make hot cocoa and add your favorite toppings
- Have Grinch kabobs for snack
- ‘Bake’ a holiday mix that will make the house smell yummy
- Make snowman pancakes or Rudolph pancakes
- Make a paper bag stocking ornament (it's a fun place to hide the Advent slips too!)
- Cut out paper snowflakes and hang them on your windows
- Make your own DIY Advent Calendar together
- Make your own ornaments
- Create your own wrapping paper from the Nuture Store
- Draw a picture for out-of-town relatives
- Make a pomander
- Create a Craft Stick Christmas Puzzle from Fireflies & Mudpies
- Put together some Reindeer Food
- Make a holiday card for your teacher or favorite neighbor
I hope this brings a little fun into your season --
Enjoy the Holidays!
MORE HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES:
You might also like: