I so hope Spring is coming soon! We are really in the mood for more outdoor time without all the snow boots and heavy coats.
To celebrate Spring, we're participating in a Spring Bloghop! You can visit more than 40 blogs each with a wonderful spring activity!
In hopes of warmer temperatures, we've put together an early spring scavenger hunt list for kids to encourage them to get out and discover what nature looks like as spring approaches.
One of the great learning opportunities with scavenger hunts is helping kids to hone their observation skills. With an outdoor hunt, you can also mix in some great science and nature lessons too.
Talk to kids about what they might expect to see as Spring approaches. They may not realize that the warmer weather is a signal to migrating birds who will start to fly north. Pointing out the changes in the trees will also introduce kids to some of the cyclical changes in nature.
Head out to a park, hike a trail or even scout out changes in your own backyard!
Here's a Printable Version of the Scavenger Hunt too!
Early Spring Scavenger Hunt
- 3 different types of birds - can you tell what kind they are?
- Flowers starting to grow (hint: look for small green leaves coming out of the ground)
- A squirrel eating something
- Buds growing on a tree or bush
- A rabbit (this may be a challenge, but with the warm temps, who knows!)
- Something rough and something smooth
- Look for one yellow item, two red items and one white item
- Listen for a bird - then copy it's sound
- Animal tracks - you'll have to look carefully for these
- Tree seeds - like pine cones, helicopters, etc.
- 5 different types of trees - since most won't have leaves, you can tell they are different in early spring by the bark on the tree
- An animal that's not a squirrel, rabbit or bird - what are they doing when you see them?
Enjoy more fun Spring activities with the kids from some wonderful blogs - we're each sharing fun ways to enjoy the coming of the season!
The Magic of Play, Rainy Day Mum, Putti's World, Blog Me Mom, Scribble Doodle and Draw, 3 Dinosaurs, Buggy and Buddy, Royal Baloo, Kitchen Counter Chronicle, Nurture Store, The Usual Mayhem, Making Boys Men, Two Daloo, Reading Confetti, Creative Play House, Fantastic Fun and Learning, Here Come the Girls, Blue Bear Wood, Zing Zing Tree, Mummy Mummy Mum, Red Ted Art, Life at the Zoo, My Little 3 and Me, Imprints from Tricia, Smiling Like Sunshine, Frogs & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails, Creative Connection for Kids, 52 Brand New, Inspiration Laboratories, Kid World Citizen, JDaniel 4s Mom, Inspired by Familia, Kids Creative Chaos, All Done Monkey, ArtChoo, Something 2 Offer, Child Central Station, KC Edventures, Momma's Fun World, Sun Hats and Wellie Boots, Discovering the world through my son's eyes, Little Artists