Read, Play & Explore with Your Baby
Spending time reading to your child every day is so important. It will help introduce them to new words, new sounds and colorful pictures — each of these will stimulate their brain development and also help them build a love of books!
One key to keeping reading sessions interesting for both you and your child — choose books that you love too! By introducing books that cover topics you enjoy, your child will hear the excitement and interest in your voice as you read.
If you’re not sure where to start when choosing a book, here’s a list of 10 Great Books for Infants & Toddlers:
Belly Button Book (Boynton on Board)
Go, Dog. Go!: P.D. Eastman’s Book of Things That Go
Dr. Seuss’s ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
7 Ways to Play with your Child
- Sing songs or nursery rhymes
- Play Peek-a-book & Patty Cake
- Build and stack with blocks
- Roll a ball back & forth
- Visit a playground and let your child explore
- Clap, stomp & make music with your mouth
- Explore sensory play! Give your child items made of different child-safe materials so they can explore how things feel.
Explore Kansas City with Your Baby
Children learn through new experiences so get out and explore the city with them! We have some wonderful attractions for families to discover around Kansas City. Follow the links to see photos, details & insider tips for your visits!
- Kidscape at Johnson County Museum
- Nature Centers – Burr Oak Woods & Ernie Miller
- Children’s Theatre at Theater for Young America