Exploring the world and learning about different cultures is an important way to help your kids to grow. Kids enjoy learning about new cultures and how others around the world live, work and celebrate.
One fun way to do that this month is to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Try a few of these activities, books or attend a local event and be part of the celebration!
Chinese New Year Activities for Kids
1. Chinese New Year Paper Crafts
- Make your own Chinese Lanterns from this fun post at Rainy Day Mum.
- Printables & games from the Nick Jr. show Ni Hao Kai-lan.
- Enjoy this fun Paper Snake craft from Little Artists – Encouraging Creativity.
- Make a great Button Snake with our friends at Kids Activities Blog.
- Create this beautiful Dancing Snake Puppet from Domestic Goddesque.
2. Learn About New Year Customs
Explore the customs and activities that go along with Chinese New Year: cleaning the house, traditional gifts such as oranges and sweets, and honoring ancestors.
Learn about the custom of giving Red Envelopes to the children from Red Ted Art.
Try incorporating a few of these customs and traditions into your own celebration at home.
3. Share Some Great Books
Books and stories are a great way to introduce kids to a new culture, theme or holiday! Here are some of our favorite picks along with affiliate links for your information and convenience.
Check out some additional pictures books that celebrate Chinese New Year from Growing Book by Book.
These make great read-alouds for the family too!
4. Play some Online Games
Kids can learn about tangrams and calligraphy pictograms with PBS’s Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat.
5. Enjoy some Chinese Cuisine!
Order take-out, visit your favorite Chinese restaurant or make some of your own dishes at home!
6. Attend a Local Event
Experience some fun dance and muscial performances along with fun family activities. Many communities have parades, shows and other events that celebrate Chinese New Year.
And however you choose to spend the New Year, we send our best wishes for health & prosperity in the New Year!
You might also like: