These 40 FUN Fall Activities for families will inspire you to connect & make memories together this season!
Do you know what I love about the Fall and Halloween season? There are SO many great Autumn activities for kids and adults to do together!
I also adore the fact that adults enjoy the season just as much as kids! (and even if you see a few eye rolls, it's a good bet that tweens & teens love these too ;)
I think so many of us are kids at heart -- heading to the pumpkin patch, the idea of dressing up, a hike in the woods and who doesn't love candy ;)
So today, we have 40 FUN (and frugal) Activities for families to try this Fall -- get out & enjoy life together!
40 Family-friendly Fall Activities
I know first-hand that Autumn can be a busy time -- school events, sports practices, shorter days and things that need to get done around the house. My husband & I were just lamenting that it's hard to find time in the busy schedule to unwind with our kids.
BUT, I firmly believe that you have to carve out time to connect as a family -- otherwise those everyday tasks begin to take over.
One thing to remember -- making memories doesn't mean planning the PERFECT activity!
In fact, sometimes it's the not-so-great things that stick with your kids.
Like when my daughter says "Remember the time you lost me in the corn maze?!"
Well, not so much as lost her -- it was more we knew she was somewhere IN the maze but she didn't want to give away her great hiding spot so she kept quiet for quite a while.
And we had to ask a few folks if they saw a little girl as we went winding around the many turns.
Then my son had to head back into the maze with us to help us find her.
But she thought it was the funniest thing ever :)
That's what it's all about -- the fun stories and memorable times that you share together.
So here are some easy & enjoyable ideas for awesome Autumn activities that will have you reminiscing for years to come! We've included links to fun activities you can find near you, free printable games, affiliate items we recommend and easy Fall recipes too.
Fall Family Activities Near Me
- Go Apple-picking or visit a cider mill
- Start a Halloween countdown together
- Enjoy a campfire outside and tell family stories or ghost stories
- Explore a corn maze together (find one near you )
- Head to a fall festival or storybook walk (check your city or local parks calendars for these events).
- Have a picnic at the park under the beautiful Fall colors.
- Visit a pumpkin patch (instead of the grocery store) to choose your pumpkins
- Find some beautiful leaves and make leaf rubbings
- Grab a hammer & create some leaf prints
- Grab some of your favorite Fall books at the library and have an after school reading session!
- October is World Hunger Action Month -- donate to a local food pantry!
- Or host your own Neighborhood Food Drive (details & free printable food drive flyer for you !)
Outdoor Fall Activities for Families
- Go on a hike and explore the woods or a new trail
- Enjoy some outdoor fun with leaf activities.
- Take a night walk by the light of the moon (keep an ear out for owls) -- take along this printable Nocturnal Scavenger hunt for extra fun!
- Rake leaves & jump in the pile!
- Or create an awesome leaf maze in your yard!
- Head out on a "what animals can we find?" hunt and see who's getting ready for winter
Easy Autumn Activities to do at Home
- Enjoy a fun Autumn Scavenger Hunt -- try one of these 18 FREE Fall scavenger hunts!
- If you live where leaves don't change colors, try painting leaves!
- Enjoy a cup of cocoa or warm vanilla milk on a chilly afternoon.
- Craft Fall Garland with these fun ideas!
- Try this fall-themed apple sensory experiment & activity with kids!
- Teach older kids how to do the Monster Mash or dance to Thriller.
- Cook together – try one of these healthy Halloween snacks that the kids can help create:
Halloween Ghost Banana Pop | Study at Home Mam
Apple Mummies | Two Healthy Kitchens
Healthy Bat Energy Bites & Spiders on a Log | Chelsea's Messy Apron
Candy Corn themed Veggie Tray | Edventures with Kids
Halloween Activities for Families to do Together
- Go on a Halloween Scavenger Hunt (with this free printable) and check out the cool decorations in your neighborhood!
- Have a dress-up-in-costume dinner the week before Halloween (it's always good to see if everything fits right ;) Here are a few ideas for a Halloween-themed dinner!
- Choose (or make!) costumes together
- Decorate the house for Halloween -- be sure to let kids get creative as they help!
- Watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
- Create some 'pumpkin' art.
- Put together a Halloween book basket and cuddle up for a story time together! Here are a few of our favorite reads:
The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat- classic Halloween story!
It's Pumpkin Day, Mouse!- we love the Mouse books for younger kids!
Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Halloween: A Safety Guide - hilarious for kids & adults!!
J is for Jack-O'-Lantern- great Halloween ABC book for ages 4 - 8 years old!
The Witch Family- a wonderful read aloud chapter book for families.
- Try your hand at this hilarious Halloween Drawing Game (where no one looks at their drawing until it's done!)
- Craft a GIANT spider web to decorate your front porch! And it can also double as a fun way to hand out candy ;)
- Draw a map of your trick-or-treat route.
- Carve jack-o-lanterns - here's 100+ FREE pumpkin stencils.
- Play a fun Fall game together as a family or with friends.
- Have a Family movie night -- try one of these family-friendly Halloween films:
The Private Eyes (old classic Disney flick with Don Knotts & Tim Conway - best for older kids!)
- Get silly with some Halloween Mad Libs
- Pull out the old photos from past years and reminisce together!
What Fall Activities would you add to the list?
More Fun Fall Activities:
Fall Family Bucket List (with FREE printable!)