These 40 FUN Fall Activities for families will inspire you to connect & make memories together this season!
Do you know what I love about the Fall and Halloween season?
I adore the fact that adults enjoy it just as much as kids!
I think so many of us are kids at heart -- heading to the pumpkin patch, the idea of dressing up, a hike in the woods and who doesn't love candy ;)
I know firsthand that Autumn can be a busy time -- school events, sports practices, shorter days and things that need to get done around the house. My husband & I were just lamenting that it's hard to find time to unwind as a family.
BUT, I firmly believe that you have to carve out time to connect -- otherwise those everday tasks begin to take over.
So today, we have 40 FUN (and frugal) Activities for families to try this Fall -- get out & enjoy life together!
40 Family-friendly Fall Activities
One thing to remember -- making memories doesn't mean planning the PERFECT activity!
In fact, sometimes it's the not-so-great things that stick with your kids.
Like when my daughter says "Remember the time you lost me in the corn maze?!"
Well, not so much as lost her -- it was more we knew she was in the maze but she didn't want to give away her great hiding spot so she kept quiet for quite a while.
And we had to ask a few folks if they saw a little girl as we went winding around the many turns.
Then my son had to head back into the maze with us to help us find her.
But she thought it was the funniest thing ever :)
Then there's those memories of Halloween -- the year it downpoured and we got soaked on our trick or treat rounds. Or the crazy homemade costumes that have stories passed down through the generations (my husband's family still talks about their 'garbage bag bat' outfits!)
That's what it's all about -- the fun stories and memorable times that you share together.
So here are some easy & enjoyable ideas for awesome Autumn activities that will have you reminiscing for years to come! We've included links to free printables, affiliate items we recommend and recipes too.
Fabulous Fall Activities for Kids & Adults
- Start a Halloween countdown together
- Explore a corn maze together (find one near you )
- Grab some of your favorite Fall books and have an afterschool reading session!
- Head out on a "what animals can we find?" hunt and see who's getting ready for winter
- October is World Hunger Action Month -- donate to a local food pantry!
- Or host your own Neighborhood Food Drive (details & free printable food drive flyer for you !)
- Find some beautiful leaves and make leaf rubbings
- Rake leaves & jump in the pile!
- Or create an awesome leaf maze in your yard!
- Enjoy some outdoor fun with leaf activities.
- Craft Fall Garland with these fun ideas!
- Try this fall-themed apple sensory experiment & activity with kids!
- Take a night walk by the light of the moon (keep an ear out for owls) -- take along this printable Nocturnal Scavenger hunt for extra fun!
- Enjoy a cup of cocoa or warm vanilla milk on a chilly afternoon
- Have a dress-up-in-costume dinner the week before Halloween (it's always good to see if everything fits right ;) Here are a few ideas for a halloween-themed dinner!
- Go on a hike and explore the woods or a new trail
- Enjoy a fun Autumn Scavenger Hunt -- here are18 scavenger hunts to choose from for Fall!
- If you live where leaves don't change colors, try painting leaves!
- Head to a fall festival or storybook walk (check your city or local parks calendars for these events).
- Teach older kids how to do the Monster Mash or dance to Thriller.
- Cook together – try one of these healthy Halloween snacks that the kids can help create:
Halloween Ghost Banana Pop | Study at Home Mam
Apple Mummies | Two Healthy Kitchens
Jack-o-Lantern Smoothie | My Recipe Magic
Healthy Bat Energy Bites & Spiders on a Log | Chelsea's Messy Apron
Candy Corn themed Veggie Tray | Edventures with Kids
- Put together a Halloween book basket and cuddle up for a storytime together! Here are a few of our favorite reads:
- Go on a Halloween Scavenger Hunt (with this free printable) and check out the cool decorations in your neighborhood!
- Get silly with some Halloween Mad Libs.
- Pull out the old photos and show the kids what types of costumes Mom & Dad has as kids.
- Decorate the house for fall or Halloween -- be sure to let the kids help!
- Have a picnic at the park under the beautiful Fall colors.
- Try your hand at this hilarious Halloween Drawing Game (where no one looks at their drawing until it's done!)
- Visit a pumpkin patch (instead of the grocery store) to choose your pumpkins
- Bake a new fall recipe together. It's great to get kids in the kitchen – can we suggest something pumpkin?
- Craft a GIANT spider web to decorate your front porch! And it can also double as a fun way to hand out candy ;)
- Draw a map of your trick-or-treat route.
- Carve jack-o-lanterns - here's 100+ FREE pumpkin stencils.
- Play a fun Fall game together as a family or with friends.
- Have a Family movie night -- try one of these family-friendly Halloween films:
What would you add to the list?
More Fun Fall Activities for Kids: