Great Places to Explore with Kids in Kansas City
A List designed for BBBS Kansas City
There are many fun things to do in Kansas City – we’ve listed a number of great places to visit, along with website links. Some attractions are free and some have admission fees (which can be found at the attraction's website).
If you have any questions, please get in touch with us through Facebook or at our Contact Us page.
Animals & Nature
- Deanna Rose Farmstead (Overland Park, KS) $2 on wknds/Free during the week
- Open April – October, feed animals, tour a prairie town, daily programs, nature trails & playgrounds. Extra cost for fishing, horse rides, mining & feeding.
- Ernie Miller Nature Center (K-7, Olathe, KS) FREE, but admission for special programs
- Owls, hawks, native animals and lots of hiking trails.
- Kansas City Zoo (Swope Park, KC, MO) Admission
- Ride across Africa on the new Skyride, feed the lorikeets, visit the polar bear & much more!
- SEA LIFE Aquarium (Crown Center, KC, MO) Admission
- Visit fish, sharks, stingrays and more at Kansas City's 1st aquarium!
- Powell Observatory (Louisburg, KS) Admission/donation requested
- Saturday evenings from May – Oct. View stars & planets thru the largest telescopes in a 5-state area!
- Science City (Union Station, KC, MO) Admission
- Ride a bike on a high wire, explore weather on huge interactive sphere, learn about energy, the earth and more!
- Kaleidoscope (Crown Center, KC, MO) FREE
- Attend ‘family art sessions’ where adults & kids can be creative together.
- Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art (KC, MO) FREE
- Sculpture, paintings, photography exhibits that encourage art exploration and discussion. Events hosted one Saturday each month.
- Nelson-Atkins Museum (KC, MO) FREE
- Travel thru history in the galleries, enjoy some time at Sculpture Park – use the online guides, grab a snack at Rozzelle Court and visit the interactive exhibits in the Creative Café.
- Nerman Museum (JCCC Campus, Overland Park, KS) FREE
- See contemporary art, photography & sculpture – plus, tour the college campus!
Places to Build Things
- Lowe's Kids Workshops (Many locations in KC Metro) FREE
- Kids can make fun projects like wood cars, games, holiday items.
- Home Depot Kids Clinics (Many locations in KC Metro) FREE
- Make birdhouses, planters and more - includes apron and pin.
Travel thru History
- Harry Truman Library & Truman Historic Site (Independence, MO) Admission
- Visit a replica of the Oval Office along with many interactive exhibits at the Truman Library. Then head over to see the Truman Home, use the Jr. Ranger guide from the National Park Service.
- Missouri Town 1855 (Lee's Summit, MO) Admission
- Tour buildings, see animals & talk to costumed interpreters about life in the 1800's.
- Shawnee Indian Mission (Fairway, KS) Admission
- History of Native American children who attended this training school in mid-1800's.
- Toy & Miniature Museum (UMKC Campus) Admission
- See a huge collection of toys and games from the last 200 years. Some interactive exhibits.
- Wornall House (KC, MO) Admission
- Tour this historic home and learn about people who lived at the time of the Civil War.
- WWI Museum/Liberty Memorial (KC, MO) Admission
- Poke your head into a trench scene; see tanks, guns and planes; movies and interactive exhibits that showcase the events of World War I.
- Kansas Speedway (KC, KS) Admission
- Tour the racetrack, pits and more - reservations req'd 2 weeks in advance.
- Bass Pro Stores (Olathe, KS & Independence, MO) FREE
- Huge fish tank, cool (taxidermy) animal displays, retail store, varying kids programming.
Places to Play
(these locations recommended for kids ages 6 – 10)
- Crown Center - Special Exhibits (KC, MO) FREE
- Interactive kids exhibits with varying themes - 3 offered per year.
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center (Crown Center, KC, MO) Admission
- A Lego world with rides, games and exhibits - Recommended for Kids ages 3 - 10 years.
- Coterie Theatre (Crown Center, KC, MO) Admission
- Awarded Top 5 Kids Theatre in the Country - great shows for kids & teens.
- Paul Messner Puppets (KC, MO) Admission
- Entertaining and engaging puppet shows. Best for kids 10 and under.
- Theatre for Young America (Union Station, KC, MO ) Admission
- Fun live theater shows, many based on kid's books. Best for kids 10 and under.
- Summer Theatre Options – Admission varies, charged for all
Farm Tours & Fruit Picking
- Shatto Dairy – Tour of Dairy Farm (Osborn,MO) Admission
- Tour a working dairy farm, milk a cow & see how milk goes from farm to store.
- The Berry Patch (223rd & State Line Rd, MO) Cost for fruit that you pick/buy
- pick your own blueberries or blackberries
- Pome on the Range (Williamsburg, KS) Cost for fruit that you pick/buy
- pick your own apples, pumpkins
- Weston Red Barn Farm (Weston, MO) Cost for fruit that you pick/buy
- pick your own blackberries, apples & pumpkins with a farm store