Your kids will find so much to do at Deanna Rose – visit a prairie town from years ago, learn how cows are milked, run through a tepee, or pick up at passport at Ben’s Bank and search the farmstead for clues. There are animals to feed, trails to hike, and buildings to explore!
Before Your Visit:
- Grab a water bottle and a few snacks to bring with you.
- Make sure you have quarters if you plan to feed the animals.
- If you already have a passport, don't forget to bring it -- there may be new clues to solve! (If you don't have one, visit Ben's Bank to pick one up.)
Explore Deanna Rose Farmstead:
- NEW THIS YEAR: The Educational Pavilion (located near the General Store) will host FREE public programs at 11am, 1pm & 3 pm daily. Programs will highlight turn-of-the-century farmlife and be interactive for kids.
- Visit Ben’s Bank and pick up a passport – clues are located in black boxes around the Farmstead.
- See the bobcats and birds of prey. While you're there, take a short hike on the nature trails.
- Feed the baby goats with bottles of milk ($).
- Visit some of your favorite farm animals - horses, pigs, goats, sheep, calves & chickens.
- Explore the schoolhouse and see if they offer a craft of the day ($).
- Visit the Kanza Indian Encampment to see how Native Americans lived on the plains.
- Tour the Dairy Barn to see calves, watch a movie about milk and quiz yourself at the video stations.
- Don't forget a visit to the playground!
- Pair a visit to the farmstead with reading "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White or seeing the movie:
Another popular book with kids this age would be The Magic Tree House series - "Buffalo Before Breakfast" & "Twister on Tuesday" by Mary Pope Osborne are both good choices for historical life on the great plains.
If you enjoyed visiting Deanna Rose, try these fun places for more historical towns & animals:
- Missouri Town 1855
- Shoal Creek Living History Museum
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farmstead
View Deanna Rose Farmstead, 13800 Switzer Rd., Overland Park, KS 66221 in a larger map