Kids will enjoy the smells, sights and tastes of a tour at Chip's Chocolate Factory, located in Crown Center! A tour of the factory includes learning about chocolate, watching how Kansas City FudgeTM is made and doing some taste-testing before you head home with a goodie bag.
Before Your Visit:
- Groups of 10 or more can request a tour time on Mondays and Wednesdays - Saturdays between 10:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Groups smaller than 10 people can be added to a larger group, or call the factory to find out when demonstrations will take place.
- Cost for the tour is $5/person and includes: a goodie bag, tasting during the tour, a Chip's sticker and more!
- Participants will be tasting during the tour - and the chocolate might be a little messy - dress accordingly.
- You will be standing to watch the 45 minute tour so wear comfortable shoes. Those that need to sit can be accomodated; please mention this when you call.
- Smaller stollers will fit in the tour area but larger ones may have to be parked outside the store.
- Please be on time for your tour - the chocolate is being melted in preparation for the tour and smells AMAZING! So get there on time for a wonderful whiff.
- As your tour begins, you'll be treated to the wonderful smell of chocolate as it is melted and poured onto the cooling tables. The confectioner will talk about the various items used in the process of turning chocolate into Kansas City FudgeTM.
- While the chocolate cools, kids (and adults) will learn about the history of chocolate including where it is grown, how ancient groups used chocolate, what products can be made from cocoa beans, the difference between white & dark chocolate and more. Curious kids are encouraged to ask questions!
- Now comes the fun! Air needs to be added to the melted chocolate in order to make it into Kansas City FudgeTM -- and Chip's has a unique way to doing this that's tons of fun to watch! Kids will love seeing the confectioner 'whips' the chocolate thru the air!
- As the fudge is setting, participants will see demos of some fun treats they can make at home -- along with doing a little tasting too.
- You'll head out with a goodie bag at the end of your tour, and don't forget to take a look at some of the other amazing items in the display cases.
Fun books to read with kids!
Want to learn more about cocoa beans, how chocolate is made and what items are made with chocolate? Try this great DK Reader book, "The Story of Chocolate"!
I hope you enjoy your tour of Chip's! Guess who else takes a tour of a chocolate factory? Curious George gets into some 'sweet' mischief when he wants to learn more about how chocolates are made in "Curious George goes to a Chocolate Factory".
Make some fun chocolate treats at home -- here are a few you might like to try:
Chip's Chocolate Factory is located on the 2nd floor of Crown Center.
View Crown Center in a larger map