Before Your Visit:
- Wear comfortable shoes - you'll be on your feet most of your visit.
- Pack a snack or considering stopping for one.
- Get there early!
Explore Science City:
There's a lot to see and do while you visit - try to slow your kids down long enough to explain some of the basic science to them as they explore. Here's a few suggestions for preschoolers:
- If you have a dinosaur fan, visit the Dino dig area - kids can wear goggles and use brushes to 'dig' up dino skeletons.
- Take a walk through the cave and explore the science of echos.
- Check out the newest exhibit, Science on a Sphere, to learn lots about the world!
- Stop by Melody Park and play some music.
- Explore the Mr. E Hotel (House of Illusions) to see what strange things you find.
- Make sure to visit the animals and reptiles in the Animal Lab.
- If you're not afraid of the dark, seek out the slide in the sewer system. Also, seek out the chairs attached to the pulley systems and see if you can 'pull' yourself into the air!
- If your child loves science, explore some of the games and activities at Lawrence Hall of Science online!
- Try reading some of the great science magazines published just for kids. You'll learn about new discoveries, animal facts and fun experiments.
- Try some at-home science with the kids:
- Check your local library to see if they have any upcoming science programs for kids.
- If you enjoyed the dinosaurs, visit the Natural History Museum at the KU campus in Lawrence.
- Other places where young children can play, build and explore include Wonderscope and KidScape.
View Science City in a larger map