“Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam..” You can visit the bison who use to roam our plains right here in Kansas City. The Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure at Lake Jacomo has bison, elk and deer roaming free in a 110-acre enclosure.
Before Your Visit:
- Bring some small apples or long carrots (with the green on top) and you can carefully feed the animals through the fence.
- Bring binoculars to view the animals if they are toward the back of the enclosure.
- Bring a camera for some great pictures!
Explore the Native Hoofed Enclosure:
- Look carefully – sometimes the animals are hiding in the shadows or trees. Also look near the lake.
- Park and walk – park your car in the parking lot and walk along the fence line. Many times the animals are grazing or resting in the front of the enclosure.
- Talk to kids about being respectful - remember you are visiting 'Mother Nature's home'. Don't litter, and don't scare the animals.
Learn More about Bison & Elk:
- Video, facts and photos of bison from National Geographic Kids.
You can visit more animals around Kansas City at:
View Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure in a larger map