Do you think owls can really turn their heads all the way around? Come and learn more about owls, hawks and other animals and reptiles at Ernie Miller Nature Center. Explore the hiking trails, visit the animals and find some great hands-on learning activities.
Before Your Visit:
- Visit the Ernie Miller website to find out about storytimes or animal encouters that you may want to attend on your visit.
- If you plan to hike the trails, wear good hiking shoes and bring any needed items (i.e., sweatshirt, sunscreen, etc.). Many of the trails are stroller-friendly.
Explore Ernie Miller:
- As you walk up to the main building, have kids look at the animal prints on the sidewalks. Can they identify which animal left those tracks?
- Before entering the main building, visit the homes of the 2 large birds (red tail hawk and owl) that live outside the center.
- Ask at the front desk for a scavenger hunt sheet - use this as you explore the center.
- In the lobby, you’ll find some native salamanders and snakes – talk to your kids about the fact that all the animals they see at the center live in our area.
- Visit the outdoor courtyard in the middle of the main building – you will find some amazing owls. Facts and info about the owls can be found on the windows of the exhibit.
- You will find two types of turtles at the center – a soft shell turtle and a hard shell tortoise. Ask your kids about why each turtle has that type of shell.
- Kids will also want to visit the large fish tank, and the birding room that overlooks the outdoor feeding area. They will also find books and nature items to explore in the birding room.
If you want to learn more about what owls eat, try the online virtual dissection of owl pellets at KidWings.
- Explore some great books about owls:
Other great places to explore nature in Kansas City include: