Come visit a farm and hotel that existed in the 1860’s. You can ride a stagecoach, tour the buildings and the farm. Visit during special events to help feed the animals, play games from long ago, or help in the garden.
Before Your Visit:
- We suggest wearing sneakers as you will be touring a farming area and may want little feet covered during some of the activities.
- Make sure to check the Events Calendar to see if there are any special activites you may want to attend.
- Kids will enjoy a visit to the gift shop which offers some unique items and toys perfect for the time period.
- ???onlinemap or anything/scavenger hunt?
Explore Mahaffie Farmstead:
- Stop at the interactive kiosks in the Heritage Center. Kids will enjoy playing with the blocks & chalkboards, dressing up like a pioneer, learning how letters were sent and sending a message on the telegraph.
- Kids can help with farm chores (at a specific time/day??) such as feeding the animals, assisting with planting/harvesting, etc.
- Ride the Stagecoach - always a highlight of the visit!
- Tour the original house (that served as a hotel) and assist with cooking on the cellar stove (again, time/day)
- Play some games (such as xx) located on the first floor of the Mahaffie Home.
- Family Volunteer opportunities are also available! Kids ages 6 - 16 (accompanied by a parent) can dress in period clothing and become part of daily life on the farm.
Try a few of these books to learn more about pioneer times:
Pioneer printable puzzles & games: http://homeschooling.about.com/od/freeprintables/ss/pioneerprint.htm
Enjoy some more historic adventures at:
- Shawnee Town 1929
- Lanesfield School (a historic one-room schoolhouse)
- Deanna Rose Farmstead
View Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm in a larger map