Before Your Visit:
- Wear comfortable shoes - you'll be on your feet most of your visit.
- Pack a snack or considering stopping for one.
- Get there early!
Explore Science City:
There's a lot to see and do while you visit - try to slow your kids down long enough to explain some of the basic science to them as they explore. Here's a few suggestions for preschoolers:
- the Kinderlab - this is a great area where kids can build with blocks, play with puppets and trains, draw with chalk and explore books.
- If you have a dinosaur fan, visit the Dino dig area - kids can wear goggles and use brushes to 'dig' up dino skeletons.
- Take a walk through the cave and explore.
- Stop by Melody Park and play some music.
- Make sure to visit the animals and reptiles in the Animal Lab.
- If you're not afraid of the dark, seek out the slide in the sewer system.
- If your child loves science, let them watch Sid the Science Kid on PBS to gain a better understanding of science concepts.
- Try some of these easy activities and projects at Preschool Science Activities.
- Read a few science books to explore various concepts:
- Check your local library to see if they have any upcoming science programs for kids.
- If you enjoyed the dinosaurs, visit the Natural History Museum at the KU campus in Lawrence.
- Other places where young children can play, build and explore include Wonderscope and KidScape.
View Science City in a larger map