Come run through a tunnel covered with vines, read a story in 'tree chairs', play in the Children's Garden and explore a maze! You can also search for bugs & frogs, watch birds and hike some trails.
Before Your Visit:
- Wear walking shoes - some of the trails are mulched.
- Talk to your kids about the rules - stay on the trails, no climbing rocks & trees, and don't pick the flowers.
- If you have a hand-held GPS, bring it and do some geocaching. Here's some tips for kids from Nature Rocks.
Explore the OP Arboretum:
- Explore the Children's Garden - bring a book and visit the Story Tree.
- Climb to the top of the Sky Watch.
- Take a nice walk around the lake and search out the various waterfalls on the property.
- Stretch your legs on one of the great nature trails.
- Visit the new (in progress) Train Garden to see lifesize railroad cars, child-size ticket booth and 3 train systems.
- The arboretum has it's own GeoArboretum Passport (cost is $1 at the visitor's center). Bring your hand-held GPS and go on a treasure hunt.
- You can grow flowers any time of the year - try 'forcing' some beautiful bulbs to grow. Kids will love to see the roots develop and the bulb grow to bloom.
- Try your hand at some gardening at home with these ideas and activities.
- For more train fun, here's a list of books & activities for you to enjoy!
- If you enjoyed the garden, visit Powell Gardens.
View Overland Park Arboretum in a larger map