Bring your kids to one of the best hands-on art studios in Kansas City! And it's FREE! Come make a puzzle, color fun pictures and paint with glow-in-the-dark wax. You and your kids will have a great time working together to create some fun artwork.
Before Your Visit:
- Look on the Kaleidoscope calendar for the dates & times of Family Sessions. Adults & children can attend sessions together, or children ages 5+ can attend Individual Sessions.
- Plan to arrive early as tickets are first come, first serve. Kaleidoscope is located at Crown Center so there's lots to do if you have to wait for your session to begin.
- Kids will be able to draw and paint - so dress accordingly.
Kaleidoscope changes the art projects at different times during the year. Some of the things you can enjoy include:
- Paint with hot-wax in the dark room. Kids can also 'paint' on the wall using lights.
- Draw a picture on cardboard and put it through the puzzle-making machine.
- Sit at one of the fun seats and make a card for someone you love.
- Visit the art tables scattered throughout the room to find different paper projects you can make using tape, ribbon, stickers and die-cuts.
- Be sure to look around - it's a very colorful place with windows to look through, and small places to explore.
Learn About Art:
- Create some fun online art at Atrsyfartsy
- Fun stories to read about art:
"the dot" by Peter H. Reynolds teaches the reader that everyone can make art, all you have to do is "just make a mark and see where it takes you".
"The Art Lesson" by Tomie dePaola is actually an picture-book autobiography of the famous author/illustrator Tomie dePaola, and how he learned to create his own artist style. Wonderful lessons on doing what you love and perserverence are found throughout the story.
Discover More Art:
Other places to explore art in Kansas City:
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
- Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art
- Nerman Museum at JCCC
View Kaleidoscope in a larger map