Do you want to introduce your preschooler to music and dance? Attend one of the Kid's Club performances at the UMKC Conservatory. The Kid's Club exposes children to the world of music and dance through interactive and entertaining shows, which are held 4 times per year.
UMKC will not be offering the Kids Club sessions in 2013/2014. We will update our listing if they decide to restart the programs.
Before the Performance:
- Read one of these great kids books about music and orchestras under out "Let's Make Music Together" recommendations.
- Arrive early to get a good seat and see any pre-performance events.
- Talk to your child about 'how to behave' at a show: when to be quiet, when to clap, staying seated so others can see, etc. Many of these shows are interactive so kids may be asked to get up and get involved!
This Season's Shows:
To Infinity and Beyond
October 13, 2012
Music from Pixar Movies and classic westerns with be shared, along with a live version of the score to a short film about the Hubble Space Telescope
Aesop's Fables (Dept. of Dance)
November 3, 2012
UMKC Daners will whirl they way through some of Aesop's greatest fables - “The Tortoise and the Hare,” “ The Boy who Cried Wolf,” and the “Ant and the Grasshopper.” Watch as they use dance, movement, and music to tell the story!
How The Camel Got His Hump
January 26, 2013
A fun operetta for young audiences, this performance will be based on Rudyard Kipling "Just So Story" and will feature singers, piano and percussion.
Children's Story Corner
February 23, 2013
Enjoy two mini-musical performances - the first is based on an original story about a girl who loves to dream. The second has kids visiting an imaginary land and will feature a brief chamber opera in three acts with projected shadow art. A wonderful combination of math and music!
Discover More with Music:
- Introduce your preschooler to music
- Visit the PBS music pages for programs like Super Why!, Calliou, Zoboomafoo and others.
- Learn about music with Disney's Little Einsteins
- Listen to some great kids CDs from artists like: Laurie Berkner, Raffi, Jim Cosgrove, Funky Mama, and the Imagination Movers
View UMKC Kid's Club in a larger map