Years ago, bison use to roam in large herds throughout the prairies of Kansas and Missouri. You can still see these magnificent animals right here in Kansas City! Visit the Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure, located in Fleming Park, where you can view and feed the bison and elk.
Before Your Visit:
- You will enjoy feeding the animals so make sure to bring some small apples or long carrots (with the green on top).
- Bring binoculars just in case the animals if they are near the back of the enclosure.
- Make sure you have a camera or phone - there are likely to be some great photo ops!
Explore Native Hoofed Animals:
- Many times, animals will be in the front of the enclosure and easy to see and feed. If they are not, make sure to look near the trees and the lake, and also towards the back of the enclosure too.
- Park the car and get out to walk along the fenceline to get a better look. Bison and elk can be found grazing or resting near the front of the enclosure and are more likely to approach the fence.
- Be respectful of nature when you're visiting - don't scare the animals and please don't litter.
Learn More about Bison & Elk:
- Great facts and video of bison!
View Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure in a larger map