Spend some time taking a tour and tasting at Chip's Chocolate Factory, located in Crown Center. You'll love learning about where chocolate comes from, how it's used to make different items, what's the secret to making great Kansas City FudgeTM and tasting some yummy samples!
Before Your Visit:
- Groups of 10 or more can request a tour time on Mondays and Wednesdays - Saturdays between 10:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Groups smaller than 10 people can be added to a larger group, or call the factory to find out when demonstrations will take place.
- Cost for the tour is $5/person and includes: a goodie bag, tasting during the tour, a Chip's sticker and more!
- Participants will be tasting during the tour - and the chocolate might be a little messy - dress accordingly.
- You will be standing to watch the 45 minute tour so wear comfortable shoes. Those that need to sit can be accomodated; please mention this when you call.
- Please be on time for your tour - the chocolate is being melted in preparation for the tour and smells AMAZING! So get there on time for a wonderful whiff.
- As your tour begins, you'll be treated to the wonderful smell of chocolate as it is melted and poured onto the cooling tables. The confectioner will talk about the various items used in the process of turning chocolate into Kansas City FudgeTM.
- While the chocolate cools, kids (and adults) will learn about the history of chocolate including where it is grown, how ancient groups used chocolate, what products can be made from cocoa beans, the difference between white & dark chocolate and more. Curious kids are encouraged to ask questions!
- Now comes the fun! Air needs to be added to the melted chocolate in order to make it into Kansas City FudgeTM -- and Chip's has a unique way to doing this that's tons of fun to watch! Kids will love seeing the confectioner 'whips' the chocolate thru the air!
- As the fudge is setting, participants will see demos of some fun treats they can make at home -- along with doing a little tasting too.
- You'll head out with a goodie bag at the end of your tour, and don't forget to take a look at some of the other amazing items in the display cases.
Try a fantasy about chocolate or a historical account - both great books!
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory by Rolad Dahl is the story of a boy who finds a gold ticket and wins an inside look at an amazing chocolate factory! Two great films were also made based on the book.
Learn how chocolate played an important part during WWII in Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot" by Michael Tunnell. See how one pilot brought joy during wartime to many children across Europe!
Make some fun chocolate treats at home:
- The kids at PBS' Zoom share their recipe for Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Host Your Own Chocolate Tasting Party - ask friends to each bring their favorite chocolate treat and spend the afternoon taste-testing!
Chip's Chocolate Factory is located on the 2nd floor of Crown Center.
View Crown Center in a larger map