Watch your teen act like a kid again – it’s easy to do at Deanna Rose! Come feed baby goats, learn about how milk gets from the cow to the store shelves, visit an Indian Encampment and ‘do lessons’ in a one-room school house.
Before Your Visit:
- Bring a water bottle with you.
- If you plan to feed the goats, remember that they like to chew on strings and may step on your feet - be careful if you wear flip-flops.
- Some of the fun things for older kids will cost extra money (mining, fishing, bottle-feeding goats) so bring some extra $.
Explore Deanna Rose:
- NEW THIS YEAR: The Educational Pavilion (located near the General Store) will host FREE public programs at 11am, 1pm & 3 pm daily. Programs will highlight turn-of-the-century farmlife and be interactive for kids.
- Bottle-feed the baby goats ($).
- Visit the Kanza Indian Encampment to see artifacts and teepees.
- Go mining for gem stones ($).
- Tour the Dairy Barn to see calves, watch a movie about milk and quiz yourself at the video stations. You can also see live milking demonstrations twice a day.
- Go shopping in the Country Store.
- Visit the animals in the older part of the farmstead: bobcats, horses, prairie dogs and birds of prey.
- On a hot day, seek out the waterfall and cool off your feet!
- Try fishing with cane poles ($).
If you haven't yet, introduce your kids to Laura Ingalls Wilder with "Little Town on the Prairie" or "Farmer Boy" after a visit to the farmstead.
Other engaging novels for this age would include "Hattie Big Sky" by Kirby Larson and books that discuss the Orphan trains from U.S. history.
Enjoy some time at these other great Kansas City attractions:
- Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farmstead
View Deanna Rose Farmstead, 13800 Switzer Rd., Overland Park, KS 66221 in a larger map