Kids Create Art: Kansas City Spring Break for Kids
Kids love to make arts & crafts? This day is devoted to imagination, creation and artistic expression.
Create a Creative Environment
- Take out some fun craft items: paint, clay, duct tape, colored paper, glitter glue, etc.
- Don't be afraid to get messy! If you're worried about the house, than move the easel and projects outside!
- Let kids choose and experiment - there's really no right and wrong with creating.
- Have your kids ever done origami? or worked with oil pastels? or used water-colors over a chalk drawing? Introduce them to something new!
If you're not sure what crafts to suggest, here's a few resources:
- The "Kids Create!" book series has tons of ideas for a variety of crafts and art projects. You can probably find one of the books in the series at your local library.
- Family Fun has a HUGE selection of art projects you can puruse online: painting, drawing, crafts, etc.
Kansas City Art Workshops
Michael's Craft sessions
Michael's Arts & Crafts stores have fun monthly projects for kids. Over spring break, they are hosting a Create a Duck craft (free) and a Mosaic Egg workshop ($2).
Kids can paint, draw and create cool things at Kaleidoscope. They are hosting family art sessions (parents & kids of any age can attend together) all week during spring break.
The first session starts at 9:40 a.m. and the last session is at 3:20 p.m. Tickets are first come, first serve - and they go pretty quickly so visit early in the day.
Johnson County Museum Art Workshops
The Johnson County Museum is hosting drop-in art sessions fpr kids ages 4 - 8 with a different theme each day. Sessions are from 10 a.m. - 12 noon and are $3/child. The schedule includes:
Monday, March 18th: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Tuesday, March 19th: Crafts for the Garden
Thursday, March 21st: Chalk Walk
Friday, March 22nd: Painting without Brushes
Be sure to visit Kidscape while you're at the museum - the kids will love to explore and play in this wonderful mini-town built just for children!