Have you ever had a stingray swim above your head?! Or watched a horseshoe crab eat dinner? You'll see this and so much more at SEA LIFE Aquarium. Watch sharks, stingrays and eels - along with more than 5,000 other sea creatures. Explore the animals in the touch tank, crawl 'into' and under a fish tank and learn some interesting facts about ocean animals and conservation.
Before Your Visit:
- See our "Preparing for Your Visit" guide for details to know before you go.
- NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY - we can't stress this enough as it can severly harm the animals.
- If the kids are excited, take a look at videos from SEA LIFE of the rays and sharks.
Explore SEA LIFE in KC:
- Grab a Quiz card at the front desk and stop at the fun stations throughout the aquarium.
- The Shoaling Room has a current that directs the fish in one direction - have your kids pick one fish and see if they can follow the fish all the way around the room.
- The Freshwater Streams room is beautiful - it features fish from Missouri and Mississippi rivers along with a waterfall!
- Kids will love reading the fish facts and info on the walls!
- Stop at the touch tank with sea stars, horseshoe crab and urchins - try touching the pencil urchin to see what it does - talk to the Educational Specialists about why it behaves that way.
- Watch the screen near the touch tank to learn about sea turtle conseration efforts.
- There are lots of tanks in the Shipwreck Room - crawl underneath in one and get a magnified look at the lion fish in another.
- Spend some time in the Underwater Tunnel looking for sharks and stingrays swimming overhead.
- See the jellyfish tank - the fish facts about jellies are very interesting.
- Stand on the glass platform over the tank in the Stingray Bay room and see the stingrays and eels swim below. Fish in this tank are called 'Pork fish' - they make grunting sounds and grind their teeth. There is also a tunnel that goes behind the tanks for a better view.
- Don't forget to stop and see the seahorses - there's some great info about them too!
- Play games, learn about marine animals and watch cool videos at the Kid's Ocean area of National Geographic Kids.
- Fun printable with games and information about sea turtles.
- A few book recommendations:
Got a kid who's a shark fanatic? This is the book for them -- "The Everything Kids' Sharks Book" by Kathi Wagner is packed with facts, puzzles, activities & more!
Or, for a more informative look at many different types of sharks, along with a few jokes thrown in, try the "The Great Shark Escape" by Joanna Cole (a Magic School Bus chapter book).
And "All the Way to the Ocean" by Joel Harper is a great book that shows how everyone can help to keep the oceans clean, no matter how far away from one they may live.
- Learn more about native fish and local waterways at Burr Oak Woods Nature Center.
- Visit with other animals that live in water at the Kansas City Zoo, where you'll see otters, sea lions, alligators and a polar bear.
View SEA LIFE Kansas City in a larger map