Want to explore a tunnel covered in vines? Look for frogs, butterflies and bugs? Hike a trail through the woods? Come to the Overland Park Arboretum and explore nature, smell herbs, and play in the Children's Garden.
Before Your Visit:
- Some trails are paved while others are mulched, so wear good walking shoes.
- Talk to your kids about the rules - stay on the trails, no climbing rocks & trees, and don't pick the flowers.
- The arboretum has some cahces if you have a hand-held GPS. Bring it along and pick up a geocaching guide for $1 at the Visitor's Desk.
Explore OP Arboretum:
- Kids love to visit the Story Tree and sit in the tree stump chairs.
- Climb through the vine tunnel or walk to the top of the Sky Watch.
- Walk around the lake and look at all the different paths through the gardens. Stop at the herb garden to smell some of the plants.
- Hike one of the nature trails through the woods. Keep your eyes open for some great birds and animals.
- Visit the new lifesize railroad cars in the Train Garden.
- If you have a hand-held GPS, or a device with a GPS app, stop at the visitor's center for a GeoArboretum Passport (cost is $1).
- Kids will enjoy reading some fun books about gardens:
- Kids may enjoy visiting the Beanstalk Children's Garden located in Swope Park - they are part of the Passport to Adventure program in 2012, and are open from June 13th thru October 19th.
View Overland Park Arboretum in a larger map