Theatre for Young America has been entertaining kids for more than 30 years. They offer a great first experience for children and their families wanting to attend a live theater production. Located in Union Station, TYA offers shows with both familiar storylines, along with some creative adaptations. The following shows are recommended for this age group --
Before the Show:
- Read the book for the show you'll be seeing - ask your kids what they think they might see at the play.
- Talk about theater etiquette - 'how should we behave at a play'. This is a great time to practice being considerate of others.
- Remember to use the restroom if you need to so you don't miss any of the performance!
Explore the Performances:
Many of the TYA productions are based on children's books so we recommend reading the book before or after the show!
March 3, 2015 - April 11, 2015
A classic tale of friendship between a young girl, her pig and all the animals of the barnyard! Kids will also enjoy the film adaption of Charlotte's Web (2006) which is a fun compare/contrast activity after seeing the play too.
If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
April 21, 2015 - May 16, 2015
Adapted from the hilarious book, follow along on this crazy adventure to see what happens if you if you do indeed decide to give a cat a cupcake!
The Princess and the Pea
June 9, 2015 - June 27, 2015
Will a girl shows up at a castle, will the royal family be able to tell if she's a true princess?
- Talk to your kids about what they liked, how the play was different from the book, and who was their favorite actor.
- Ask them if they have any questions - sometimes kids will ask things about noises backstage, lighting and sound.
- The Coterie Theatre also has great kids' shows - check them out!
View Theatre for Young America in a larger map
Photo credit: Theatre for Young America