Vist the only Presidential Library in the Kansas City area - the Harry S Truman Library & Museum. As President Truman would say "The Buck Stops Here"! See a replica of the Oval Office as it existed when Truman served, learn about the famous Whistlestop Tour and explore many interactive exhibits.
Before Your Visit:
- Visit Truman 4 kids site to learn some fun facts and play games that teach about Harry Truman's life.
- Read about Harry Truman's childhood since he grew up in Independence, Missouri.
- Check the Events Calendar for special events you may want to see.
Explore Truman Library:
- Kids will enjoy the exhibits on the ground floor. They can make a campaign button, create a desk sign, play interactive trivia games, and do puzzles.
- The Whistlestop Exhibit allows visitors to listen to messages via old-time phones.
- Some of the museum's exhibits are dedicated to the war. Kids will be intrigued to learn about what families and children had to endure during wartime (such as food shortages).
- Of course, you'll want to show the kids the replica of the Oval Office!
- An exhibit portraying life in the 1940's will amuse visitors as they see old tv's and furniture.
- Don't forget to visit the replica of the Liberty Bell located outside on the lawn near the parking lot.
- Create a presidential seal, or play a game to learn more about kids who have lived in the White House.
- Read a few fun books:
- Download the National Park Junior Ranger booklet and visit Harry Truman's Home Historic Site to earn a badge.
View Harry Truman Library & Museum in a larger map