Have you ever been face-to-face with a bison? Or fed a deer? You can do both at the Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure in south Kansas City. Come visit deer, elk and bison at Fleming Park.
Before Your Visit:
- If your child has never seen a bison, use this coloring page from Kaboose as a fun introduction.
- Bring some small apples or long carrots (with the green on top) and you can carefully feed the animals through the fence.
Bring binoculars – just in case the animals are not at the front of the enclosure.
Bring a camera for a great photo opp!
Explore the Native Hoofed Enclosure:
- Be patient – depending on the time of day and location of the herd, the bison and elk may be in the back of the enclosure.
Try viewing from various places – there’s a parking lot, but you can also walk along the front fence to see if the animals are grazing or resting in the front of the enclosure.
Be observant! During the hot weather, the animals like to hang out in the shade, or near the edges of the trees. And the enclosure is quite a large area, so keep looking.
Learn More about Bison:
- Print an animal card, see a video and learn more about bison at National Geographic Kids.
- Look for one of these books at your local library:
- Visit Missouri Town 1855 which is also located in Fleming Park
- If you liked the bison & elk, see other great animals at Deanna Rose Farmstead
View Native Hoofed Animal Enclosure in a larger map