Theatre for Young America is located in Union Station and specializes in live performances for kids. Your child will love the variety of shows they can see, along with the music, humor and personal touches that are experienced. Great shows for preschoolers include:
Before the Show:
- Read the book to your child so they are familiar with the story.
- Arrive early and hit the bathroom - nothing ruins a good show like missing the middle!
- No food or drinks in the theater - have a snack before you go.
- Talk to your kids about how to behave in a theater - no shouting, stay seated, when to applaud, etc.
- There is usually a question & answer time after each show that younger kids will enjoy so be sure to stay for a few extra minutes.
Explore the Performances:
This season, the shows at TYA are all connected to children's books so be sure to read the story before or after you attend the play!
March 3, 2015 - April 11, 2015
A classic tale of friendship between a young girl, her pig and all the animals of the barnyard! Kids will also enjoy the film adaption of Charlotte's Web (2006) which is a fun compare/contrast activity after seeing the play too.
If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
April 21, 2015 - May 16, 2015
Adapted from the hilarious book, follow along on this crazy adventure to see what happens if you if you do indeed decide to give a cat a cupcake!
The Princess and the Pea
June 9, 2015 - June 27, 2015
Will a girl shows up at a castle, will the royal family be able to tell if she's a true princess?
- Ask your child what they enjoyed about the play - the costumes? the set? Introduce some theater terms to them.
- If you enjoyed the play, check out others at TYA or the Coterie for kids!
View Theatre for Young America in a larger map
Photo credit: Theatre for Young America