Ride a stagecoach, see animals and learn how people lived 150 years ago. Visit the kids hands-on kiosks for some informative history learning and enjoy a fun day exploring history.
Before Your Visit:
- We suggest wearing sneakers as you will be touring a farming area and may want little feet covered during some of the activities.
- Make sure to check the Events page to see if there are any special activites you may want to attend.
- Strollers are allowed on the grounds but are not able to be brought through the house.
- There's a small but adorable gift shop with some unique items and toys that fit the time period that the kids will enjoy.
- ???onlinemap or anything/scavenger hunt?
Explore some of the interactive & hands-on kiosks in the Heritage building. Kids will enjoy seeing what toys were popular during the 1860's, dressing like pioneers, and playing with the mail bags and telegraph.
- Kids also love to visit the farm animals (cows, horses and chickens) who are kept on the property year-round.
- Stagecoach rides are a highlight of the visit! They are offered frequently from April - October. Check the schedule for availability.
- Play some games (such as xx) located on the first floor of the Mahaffie Home.
- During special events, children are able to make crafts, play games and enjoy some experiences of life in the xxxx.
Pioneer printable puzzles & games: http://homeschooling.about.com/od/freeprintables/ss/pioneerprint.htm
Enjoy a few books before or after your visit:
You might also enjoy a visit to:
- Shawnee Town 1929
- Lanesfield School (a historic one-room schoolhouse)
- Deanna Rose Farmstead
View Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop & Farm in a larger map